Combination of Brassica napus plant sterols
• Supports the maintenance of cardiovascular health by reducing low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and total cholesterol
• Provides 1300 mg of plant sterol esters per daily dose
Col-Sterol is a blend of plant sterol esters that helps to decrease total and LDL cholesterol levels. Plant sterols have a similar structure to cholesterol, but differ in their side-chain groups.1 Plant sterol intake leads to a continuous cycle of decreased dietary cholesterol absorption, increased cholesterol use for bile acid synthesis, decreased bile acid reabsorption, and increased cholesterol excretion in the feces.2 In a double blind, placebo-controlled study, supplementation with 1.3 g of sterol esters daily for four weeks decreased total cholesterol and LDL levels by approximately 5 and 4%, respectively, in 16 hypercholesterolemic adults.3
1. Gylling, H, Plat, J, Turley, S, Ginsberg, HN, Ellegård, L, Jessup, W, Jones, PJ, Lütjohann, D, Maerz, W, Masana, L, Silbernagel, G, Staels, B, Borén, J, Catapano, AL, De Backer, G, Deanﬁeld, J, Descamps, OS, Kovanen, PT, Riccardi, G, Tokgözoglu, L, Chapman, MJ. Atherosclerosis. 2014; 232: 346-360.
2. Cusack, LK, Fernandez, ML, Volek, JS. Adv Nutr. 2013; 4(6): 633-43.
3. Acuff, RV, Cai, DJ, Dong, ZP, Bell, D. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2007; 6:11.